The Indian telecom Industry with over 900 million mobile subscribers is the second largest wireless market in the world. Low tariffs and direct reach to consumers has made SMS and direct calling one of the most cost-effective ways of selling services and products. However, telemarketing has brought with it serious issues of invasion of privacy and has become a major irritant to customers. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is the Indian governmental agency tasked with defining various policies and regulations for wireless communication service providers in India. The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Portal, formerly National Customer Preference Register (NCPR) & National Do Not Call Registry (NDNC), is intended to give Indian consumers an opportunity to limit the telemarketing calls they receive.
Follow the simple steps in this post to register/change your DND preferences or raise a complaint.
- Call 1909
- Speak to a customer care executive
- Use the IVRS(Interactive Voice Response System)
- SMS 1909
- Register for DND
- SMS “START 0” to 1909 to fully block commercial calls and SMSs
- SMS “START 1” for receiving SMS relating to Banking/Insurance/Financial products/Credit cards
- SMS “START 2” for receiving SMS relating to Real Estate
- SMS “START 3” for receiving SMS relating to Education
- SMS “START 4” for receiving SMS relating to Health
- SMS “START 5” for receiving SMS relating to Consumer goods and automobiles
- SMS “START 6” for receiving SMS relating to Communication/Broadcasting/Entertainment/IT
- SMS “START 7” for receiving SMS relating to Tourism and Leisure
- SMS “START 1, 2, 5” for choosing multiple options
- Change DND Preferences
- SMS “STOP 2” for stopping existing options
- SMS “STOP 1, 5” for stopping multiple existing options
- In spite of registering for DND, you might still receive commercial calls and SMSs, for which a complaint can be raised
- Raise a Complaint
- SMS “The Unsolicited Commercial Communication, XXXXXXXXXX, dd/mm/yy” to 1909
- The Unsolicited Commercial Communication: This is the actual message content you received (Ex: Earn 30 to 50000 per month setup LED CFL…)
- Remove any special characters from the message content, especially “,” “/” symbols
- XXXXXXXXXX: Telephone number(98***12***) or header of SMS(Ex: HP-EPOSHU)
- dd/mm/yy: Date of receiving the SMS
- Register for DND
- Check your phone connection’s DND status here.
Thanks for reading.